Recipe: Loaded Hot Dog
Hot Dogs are a grilling staple. They’re sure to please everyone, but why settle for just a drizzle of ketchup and mustard? Try this Loaded Hot Dog, created by our Pitmasters. We wrap each hot dog in bacon, before loading them onto the grill. If that’s not satisfyin’ enough, we top each one with cheese, caramelized vegetables and Sonny’s Smokin BBQ Sauce.
Watch Sonny’s BBQ Pitmaster Shannon Snell take you through this Loaded Hot Dog recipe in the video above. Lookin’ for something meatier? Take a bite out of our Sundried Juicy Lucy, and find more recipes in our BBQ Bites playlist on YouTube.
You Will Need:
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 8 ounces of cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of onions
- 1/2 cup of sweet peppers
- 1/4 cup of salt
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Sonny’s Smokin BBQ Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Whisk salt, paprika, brown sugar, black pepper and cayenne pepper in bowl. Set aside for later.
- Using a knife, score each hot dog 4 times to help the rub penetrate.
- Drizzle hot dogs with a thin layer of mustard to help rub bind.
- Cover with rub.
- Wrap each hot dog with 1 slice of thick-cut bacon.
- Let rest and sprinkle with the rest of the rub.
- Rough chop onions and sweet peppers.
- Sauté vegetables in olive oil until they caramelize, then remove from heat.
- Cook hot dogs on the grill for 2.5 – 3 mins on each side. Brush with Sonny’s Smokin BBQ Sauce.
- Assemble with bun and hot dogs, and top with vegetables.
- Grate cheddar cheese, and top each hot dog with cheese.
- Grill 5 mins or until cheese is melted.
- Finish with a drizzle of Sonny’s Smokin BBQ Sauce.