Happy 88 Birthday, Sonny Tillman!
Celebrating 88 years of BBQ brilliance
For all of us here at Sonny’s BBQ, August 14th is a momentous day. That’s when our founder (and living legend) Sonny Tillman was born a whoppin’ 88 years ago. We threw a birthday party for the original Pitmaster at our Archer restaurant in Gainesville, where an intimate crowd of his loved ones gathered for the occasion. And we brought the party to you, servin’ up $8.88 Rib Dinners in his honor at all of our Sonny’s locations. To keep the good times rollin’, here are 5 things you might now know about our favorite member of the ‘Q Crew, plus snapshots from his big day.
- Sonny’s favorite item on our menu hasn’t changed for 50 years. He’s a sliced-pork-sandwich kinda man.
- Before starting his first BBQ joint nearly 50 years ago, Sonny worked in dry-wall. Thank heavens he traded construction for a career buildin’ stacked BBQ sandwiches.
- Smoked Brisket and Pulled Pork have his heart, but he also loves an afternoon of quiet fishin.’
- Sonny’s favorite seat in the house is always the first table in the first row. We call this Tillman’s Table.
- He married his wife Lucille in 1949 and they’ve been married for 68 years.
Sonny loves a generous helpin’ of southern hospitality. Wish him a belated happy birthday on [Facebook/Twitter, etc.] and learn more about his legacy in the making.