Recipe: BBQ Chicken Lollipops
When you think of a “lollipop”, usually something sweet comes to mind. Well, these BBQ Chicken Lollipops are sweet, but these are a bit meatier, literally. These mouthwaterin’ morsels are marinated and dry-rubbed, before their smoked and basted in butter. These delights need big bites, but they’re perfect for your next party, get-together or family dinner.
Go step-by-step with the recipe below, or watch Pitmaster Shannon Snell bring this recipe to life in the link above. Don’t forget to check out our full BBQ Bites playlist on Youtube.
You Will Need:
- 8 chicken legs
- 1 bottle of Sonny’s Sweet BBQ Sauce
- Olive oil or pan spray
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Sonny’s Sizzlin’ BBQ Sauce
- Add all the marinade ingredients to a bowl and mix until fully combined, set aside.
- For the leg piece, cut along the circumference of the thin end (around the tendons) so that the bone and the meat are no longer connected. Then, push down the meat so the leg becomes a lollipop.
- Place the prepared chicken lollipops in the marinade. Stir and cover.
- Marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours minimum.
- During this time, mix all your rub ingredients together, and place into a rub shaker. (You can also use a bowl if you prefer to season the chicken by hand.)
- Remove chicken from the marinade and season generously on all sides.
- Return to the fridge for 20 minutes on a tray.
- Set your smoker to 325°. Make sure the grates are well oiled with pan spray or olive oil.
- Place the chicken on the smoker and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, drizzle some butter over each chicken lollipop so that it’s evenly coated. Close the lid and continue to cook.
- Repeat this process in 8-10 minute intervals until you run out of butter and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 175 degrees.
- Pour the Sonnys Sweet sauce into a bowl and dip each lollipop into the sauce. Return to the smoker for 5 minutes to let them caramelize.
- Remove from smoker and enjoy.